Updating Personal Information

Official Name Changes

A student who wishes to change his/her legal name in UMS’ Student Information System must provide a copy (via mail, fax or email) of one of the following documents showing the new name:

        • Social Security card or Social Insurance Card (if previously on record)
        • State driver’s license or state issued photo ID
        • Passport
        • Military identification card
        • Other legal name change documentation showing new name and former name

Please note:  Marriage certificates will not be accepted as name change documentation.

Preferred Name

The University of Maine System recognizes that many members of its community use first names other than their legal names to identify themselves.  For some students and employees, a chosen or preferred name may be an important component of their identity.  Therefore, the University of Maine System allows students to enter a Preferred Name through MaineStreet Self-Service.

Where Preferred Name will be used

When selecting a Preferred Name, students will want to consider all the potential implications of their choice.  Preferred Name will appear in the following places and documents:

      • Class Roster
      • Grade Roster
      • Your advisor’s Advising Center
      • MaineStreet Student Services Center (below Primary Name)

Students who enter a Preferred Name in MaineStreet also need to understand that their primary, legal, name will appear on the following University documents:

      • Legal documents and reports produced by the University (i.e. enrollment reports to the National Student Clearinghouse, enrollment list for student insurance)
      • Student Account statements (bills)
      • Financial Aid and Scholarship documents
      • Official Transcripts
      • Enrollment Verifications
      • Degree Verifications
      • Published Dean’s List
      • Degree Progress Report
      • Student Employment documents
      • Responses to requests made under the Maine Freedom of Access Act and Solomon Amendment
      • Unofficial Transcript

Graduating students have the option of specifying the name they wish to be used on their diplomas.

To enter a Preferred Name in MaineStreet:

      • Go to http://mainestreet.maine.edu.
      • Navigate to your Student Center.
      • Select the link labelled “Demographic Data” under “Personal Information.”
      • Select the “Names” tab.
      • Click the green “Edit” button.
      • Add or change your Preferred Name.

Email Account Name Change

Changes to official name in MaineStreet or adding a Preferred Name will not have any effect on the maine.edu User Name and password.  To request a change to the maine.edu email address, go to:  http://mail.maine.edu and select Change Your UMS User Account User Name.

To have the email address based on the Preferred Name, contact the contact the UMaine IT Help Center at 207.581.2506 or University of Maine System Tech Support at 1.800.696.HELP (4357).

Change of Address/Phone

Students must update their off-campus address and phone information in MaineStreet or report any changes in contact information promptly to the Office of Student Records.  It is not necessary to notify Student Records regarding residence hall changes.

The University accepts no liability for inability to contact students in an emergency if current contact information has not been reported.

Students who wish to declare a formal change of gender may submit a Request to Change Gender in MaineStreet  to the Office of Student Records.