- Building Abbreviations
- Inclement Weather During Final Examinations
- Athletic Events During Final Examination Period
- Spring 2018 Final Exam Schedule (PDF) (May 7-11)
- Final examinations are held according to a published schedule and cannot be taken before the scheduled time. The scheduled final exam day and time is listed in MaineStreet. If you are unsure of which section of a class you are enrolled in, check your course schedule in MaineStreet. Not all sections of classes have final exams. If your section is not listed and you have a question about this, check with your instructor.
- Faculty can find their final exam schedule in the Faculty Center in the box labeled “My Final Exam Schedule,” located just below the “My Teaching Schedule” box which displays their semester’s classes.
- Students can see their final exam schedule by logging into MaineStreet and navigating to Student Self-Service > Student Center. Under the “Academics” section, select “Exam Schedule” from the “other academic…” drop-down menu.
- The final examination should count no more than one-third of the course grade, although exceptions may be made by the instructor in consultation with the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered.
- No examination of any kind may be scheduled during the last week of classes, except by permission of the appropriate Associate Dean or Director. A final examination may be scheduled only during final exam week. If a final is not planned, and the instructor wishes to schedule a prelim covering the last weeks of the course, this prelim must be given during the final exam week. These rules do not apply to Continuing Education Division courses.
- Students who are scheduled for more than three final examinations in one day or have two exams scheduled at the same time will be notified by the Office of Student Records and are asked to work with their instructors to reschedule one of the final exams. If students have difficulty reaching a reasonable compromise with their instructors, the Office of Student Records will provide further assistance.
Back to Top
Inclement Weather during Final Examinations
For the most timely notification of weather-related class cancellations or postponements, students and other members of the University of Maine community are strongly encouraged to sign up for text and/or email message alerts (umaine.edu/emergency). Notifications are posted on the UMaine website and portal; in FirstClass folders (Announcements & Alerts; Provost/Academic Affairs and UMaine Forum); and on University of Maine Facebook and Twitter. These notification options are considered the most reliable options. Updates can be heard by calling 581.SNOW (1.800.581.SNOW outside the local area), with early morning notifications recorded by 6:00 a.m., and others made throughout the day. Local media also are notified of UMaine’s weather-related cancellations and postponements.
The following procedure will be followed to reschedule final examinations: exams will be rescheduled to Friday in the order in which they were cancelled. For the fall semester, the first cancelled block will be rescheduled to Friday at 9:30, the second block to 12:15, the third to 2:45, the fourth to 5:30 and the fifth to 7:45. For example, if all finals on Monday were cancelled they would be rescheduled to Friday in the same time blocks. If only Tuesday afternoon finals were cancelled starting at 2:45, the three time blocks would be rescheduled to the first three blocks on Friday (9:30, 12:15, and 2:45). Some finals are scheduled for the first three time blocks on Friday. In the event that the rescheduling of a cancelled final conflicts with a previously scheduled final on Friday, the student should attend the originally scheduled final and make individual arrangements for the conflicting final. If the cancellation is on Friday, morning finals will be moved to the afternoon for a delayed opening and individual arrangements will need to be made if the University closes for the entire day.
Back to Top
Athletic Events during Final Examination Period
The University of Maine will not schedule athletic events during final examination periods in December and May. The President, in consultation with the Executive Vice President and Provost, determines whether or not athletic teams will participate in post-season tournaments during final examination week.
Back to Top