Requesting a Transcript
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) requires that all transcript requests be authorized by the person to whom the record belongs, either in writing or by a secured electronic authorization. Requests by telephone will not be accepted. The issuance of partial transcripts is not permitted.
For information regarding the issuance of transcripts to students indebted to the University, please see Administrative Practice Letter IX-K.
Transcript Delivery Options
The University of Maine has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide secure delivery of official transcripts in both electronic and paper form. These options offer the ability to track the status of your request.
Electronic Delivery (recommended for the fastest service)
- Cost: $2.50 ordering and digital security fee
- The electronic transcript must be sent directly to the third party in order to retain its “official” status.
- Verify that the recipient will accept transcripts delivered electronically before placing the order.
- Be sure to provide the complete mailing address of the recipient as well as the correct email address.
Secure Print Delivery (1-2 business day processing)
Third party printed transcripts will have the official seal of the University of Maine and the signature of the Registrar.
Be sure to provide the complete mailing address for the recipient.
Standard Mail Delivery Option
- Cost: $2.50 plus shipping and handling
- Sent via U.S. Postal Service within 1-2 business days and may take 5-7 business days for delivery.
- Rush delivery options available. Information and fees will be provided during the ordering process. Express requests will be processed within one business day.
Certified Mail Delivery Option
- Cost: $14.50 plus shipping and handling
- Sent via U.S. Postal Service and may take 5-7 business days for delivery.
- Signature by the recipient is required.
International Mail Delivery Option
- Cost: $7.50 plus shipping and handling
- Sent via U.S. Postal Service and may take up to 21 days for delivery.
- No tracking available for this delivery method.
Transcript Requests through MaineStreet
Current students, or students who were enrolled within the past 5 years, can request official transcripts through the Classic MaineStreet Student Center.
- Cost: Free!
- Limit of 10 transcripts per request.
- Sent via U.S. Postal Service within 3 business days and may take 5-7 additional business days for delivery.
- Electronic transcripts are not available using this option.
To access the self-service transcript request in Classic MaineStreet:
- Login to MaineStreet
- Select Student Self Service
- From your Student Homepage, select Classic Student Center
- Click the “other academic” drop down menu and select “Transcript: Request Official”
Visit the Information Technology website for MaineStreet login assistance.
Request Transcripts in Person
Transcripts may be requested in person by visiting the Office of Student Records during normal business hours.
- Cost: Free!
- Limit of 10 transcripts
- Valid government-issued photo identification required.
Office of Student Records
Wingate Hall – Room 213
Orono, ME 04469
Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm